A Reliable Partner
Mr. Stevens is licensed to practice in Utah. His practice emphasis is in the regulation of the insurance industry; including property and casualty, life and health, title insurance, escrow and settlement services, other areas of administrative law, legislative advocacy, and mediation. He also serves as an expert witness. Prior to private practice Mr. Stevens served as the assistant insurance commissioner at the Utah Insurance Department. As the assistant commissioner he was the executive responsible for the Property and Casualty, Financial Examination and Company Licensing, Administrative and Fraud (Criminal) Divisions.
Mr. Stevens is a former member of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel (FORC), an exclusive nation-wide association of attorneys specialized in the arena of insurance regulatory law.
Experience & Qualifications
- Private Practice
- Attorney - Kirton | McConkie
- Attorney - Leader Insurance Regulatory Law Practice Group, Jones Waldo Holbrook & McDonough
- Judge Pro tempore in the Third District Court in Salt Lake City (Since 2002)
- Senior level executive with regional and national title underwriters
- Assistant Commissioner, State of Utah Insurance Department
- Administrative Law Hearing Officer
- Judicial Clerk, Eighth Judicial District, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Law Clerk, Clark County Nevada District Attorney's Office
- Hamline University School of Law and David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah
- Continuing Education Instructor - Utah State Bar, Utah Insurance Department, Utah Division of Real Estate
- Former Member Federation of Regulatory Counsel (FORC)
- Former Member Utah Insurance Department Bail Bond Surety Board
- Member SecureInsight Advisory Board
- Member American Land Title Association (ALTA)
- Title Workshop: “From Examination to Commitment - Ethics,” National Business Institute (December 2015).
Title Workshop: “Title Law From Start to Finish – Ethics,” National Business Institute (June 2014).
“Entering the Era of Consumer Protection," Managing risk in all elements of loan production is vital to compliance” by Richard Peter Stevens and Andrew Liput, Scotsman Guide – Residential Edition (June 2013).
“A New Era For Mortgage Closings?” by Richard Peter Stevens and Andrew Liput, National Mortgage Professional